FAYETTEVILLE -- Behind two scores from Korliss Marshall and another from an unexpected source, the Red team defeated the White team 61-22 in the annual Arkansas Football Red-White Spring Game at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Ark., on Saturday.
Marshall highlighted what was a dominant day on the ground for the Red team and finished with a game-high 99 yards, including a 59-yard score late in the second quarter. Jonathan Williamsadded a score of his own and 78 yards to contribute to 252 rushing yards on the day by the Red team.
Scoring came in all forms and fashions for the Red team, including Canaan Sandy making an appearance in the backfield for the Razorbacks and taking his first carry of the game 50 yards for the score late in the third quarter. Sandy was recently inducted into the ESPN Fan Hall of Fame as a membr of the 2013 Class.
In what was a dual of the Allen brothers at quarterback, Austin Allen finished a combined 11-for-17 with 139 yards and two touchdown passes playing between both teams. Brandon Allen quarterbacked the winning Red team, completing 12-of-21 passes for 108 yards and one touchdown.
Following a field-goal competition to begin the second quarter, it was only a 15-13 lead for the White team with just over three minutes until halftime. Things boiled over in the final minutes, however, as the Red team put together a flurry of strikes and scored 21 points in the span of 16 seconds over three drives to take a commanding 34-22 lead at the break.
Marshall's 59-yard rushing touchdown sparked the scoring spree for the Red team, as Rohan Gaines followed up on the next play with a 31-yard interception return for a score, then Darius Philon came up with a 19 yard scoop-and-score on a fumble.
The White team finally came away with a turnover of its own to seize momentum, as Davyon McKinney made a nice play and hauled in a deflected pass for an interception. The late change in possession helped set up a 45-yard touchdown pass from A. Allen to Eric Hawkins for the White team in the closing seconds of the first half.
In the second half, Patrick Arinze hauled in a five-yard touchdown pass from B. Allen midway through the third quarter and extended Red's lead over White to 41-22. Marshall followed two minutes later with his second score of the day, punching it in from eight yards out and pushing the Red team lead to 48-22.
Sandy's 50-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter for the Red team, coupled with a 33-yard touchdown catch by Cody Hollister from A. Allen in the fourth, brought the Red team's total to 61 points and closed out the win.
For more information on Arkansas football, follow @RazorbackFB on Twitter.
- 1st 8:07 WHITE: L. Saling 32 yd FG
- 1st 1:29 RED: J. Williams 4 yd TD RUSH (PAT J. Henson)
- 2nd 15:00 RED: J. Henson 27 yd FG
- 2nd 15:00 WHITE: A. McFain 32 yd FG
- 2nd 15:00 WHITE: L. Saling 37 yd FG
- 2nd 15:00 WHITE: A. McFain 42 yd FG
- 2nd 2:52 RED: K. Marshall 59 yd TD RUSH (PAT by J. Henson)
- 2nd 2:48 RED: R. Gaines 31 yd TD INT (PAT by J. Henson)
- 2nd 2:36 RED: D. Philon 19 yd TD FUMB (PAT by J. Henson)
- 2nd 0:00 WHITE: E. Hawkins 45 yd TD PASS from A. Allen (PAT L. Saling)
- 3rd 5:13 RED: P. Arinze 5 yd TD PASS from B. Allen (PAT J. Henson)
- 3rd 3:05 RED: K. Marshall 8 yd TD RUSH (PAT J. Henson)
- 3rd 1:18 RED: C. Sandy 50 yd D RUSH
- 4th 3:33 RED: C. Hollister 33 yd TD PASS from A. Allen (PAT J. Henson)
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.