MONROE, La. -- ULM got all the offense it needed on three swings of the bat Sunday en route to a 5-4 win over WKU at Warhawk Field.
With the game even at 4-4 in the bottom of the ninth, Chet Simoneaux unloaded on a 3-1 offering and sent it down the left field line to lift the Warhawks (19-30, 9-15) to a 5-4 walkoff win over the Hilltoppers (27-22, 13-11). Simoneaux’s homer was the third of the day for the Warhawks who rallied from a 4-0 deficit after 5 1/2 innings of play.
Tyler Bray (7-4) earned the win as he surrendered just one hit with one punchout in two innings of relief. WKU reliever Tate Glasscock (0-3) was tagged with the loss after allowing the walkoff homer to Simoneaux.
WKU got on the scoreboard first as Anderson Miller led off the fourth inning with a solo homer over the wall in right center. The Hilltoppers pushed their lead to 4-0 as they scored a trio of runs in the top half of the sixth inning.
The Warhawks responded with a four-run frame in the bottom of the sixth to even the game at 4-4. After back-to-back groundouts, Dalton Herrington got the Warhawks on the board as he sent the second pitch he saw over the wall in right center. Keelin Rasch followed with a single up the middle and Kodie Tidwell gave the Warhawks two on as he reached on a fielding error at second base. Justin Stawychny was able to make the Hilltoppers pay for the miscue as he sent a 2-1 offereing over the wall in left center to tie the game.
ULM received solid relief performances from Alex Dumaine and Tyler Bray as the duo tossed three shutout innings (seventh, eighth and ninth) to help the Warhawks stay tied with the Hilltoppers before claiming the walkoff win.
The Warhawks will continue their seven game homestand as they welcome Grambling State to Warhawk Field for a 6 p.m. contest Tuesday. Following the final midweek tilt of the season, ULM will host its final home series of the season as Georgia State travels to Monroe for a three-game series beginning Friday, May 9 at 6 p.m.
For updates throughout the season on the ULM baseball team, be sure to follow the squad on twitter @ULM_BSB. Support the Warhawks through participation in the Athletic Foundation, join the ULMAF by calling 318-342-5415. Be sure to cheer on your Warhawks in person; to purchase tickets, please call 318-342-3ULM or visit the athletic ticket homepage.
- Dalton Herrington hit his eighth homer of the season in the sixth inning… His homer over the wall in right center was the 14th of his Warhawk career.
- Justin Stawychny hit his seventh homer in 2014… The three-run shot was his 16th career homer.
- Chet Simoneaux joined the homerun party and hit his fifth of the season (and career).
- ULM and Georgia State are now both 9-15 in the Sun Belt after wins on Sunday and the two teams that will meet in Monroe next weekend are tied for seventh in the league standings.
- WKU 1, ULM 0 – Top 4: Anderson Miller homered to right center.
- WKU 2, ULM 0 – Top 6: Cody Wofford singled to center field; Anderson Miller scored from third.
- WKU 3, ULM 0 – Top 6: Cody Wofford scored from third on a passed ball.
- WKU 4, ULM 0 – Top 6: Leiff Clarkson singled to right field; David Simmons scored from third (unearned).
- WKU 4, ULM 1 – Bottom 6: Dalton Herrington homered to right center.
- ULM 4, WKU 4 – Bottom 6: Justin Stawychny homered to left center (unearned); Keelin Rasch scored from second (unearned); Kodie Tidwell scored from first (unearned).
- ULM 5, WKU 4 – Bottom 9: Chet Simoneaux homered down the left field line.
Budapest has abandoned its bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, a move…
Ouachita Lions coach and assistant principal Kurt…