"It used to be one of the candies I used to get in my Halloween bag," said Lyn Wooten, who has a grandson and a granddaughter who attend the school.
However, Wooten is looking at Smarties a lot differently.
"It goes to show you how something so innocent can turn into something unpleasant. It's sad really," she said.
School officials sent parents an email telling them some students were participating in a new craze to crunch up the candy and snort, inhale or smoke the dust.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.