Brain eating amoeba found in North Monroe water

MONROE, La-- - Residents are in fear after their water has been declared unsafe.
 
Afraid to do normal activities with their water.
 
"Taking a bath or simply drinking water from a cup," Amber Anthony said.
 
"It makes you really not want to take a shower because you're afraid of it getting up your nose and you might die," Devan Henderson said.
 
Naegleria Fowleri, a brain eating ameoba, has found its way into the water in North Monroe. 
 
"It's crazy and dangerous," resident Dylan Barber said.
 
"It really scares me I'm a single mom of two kids," Anthony said.
 
Naegleria Fowleri is most dangerous when it enters through your nose.
 
Anthony, , a resident for her entire life, says the best way to protect her kids is to keep them away.
 
"I don't want them anywhere near it i really don't," she said.
 
"I don't know you can't feel safe at your own house when you have that risk of that getting to you," Henderson said.
 
A town hall meeting will be held at Sterlington High School Saturday at 10 am to address this issue for the people of North Monroe.
 
Until then, residents are warned to use their water with caution.
 
The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals has released a list of the "do's and don'ts" for water use for the next 60 days.
 
 
SEE BELOW: 
 
 
 

More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Home For The Holidays Sweepstakes
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • My First Job
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • KTVE/KARD unveils new iPhone & Android app
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News