“As tax-filing season begins, these arrests highlight the need for Louisiana taxpayers to choose carefully when selecting a preparer,” Secretary of Revenue Tim Barfield said. “Even when you hire someone to prepare your taxes, as the taxpayer, you are responsible for the accuracy of the return.”
In the most recent fraud case, Tamiko Dalcourt of 103 Irma Drive in Lafayette was arrested on felony counts of tax evasion, theft, filing or maintaining false public records, and computer fraud. She was arrested on January 21, 2014, in Lafayette and transported to Baton Rouge where she was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison.
Dalcourt is accused of preparing fraudulent returns for clients of Kevin’s Tax Service, at 2700 Moss Street in Lafayette. Returns reviewed by the LDR Criminal Investigations Division included phony business losses and deductions. Some of the clients contacted by LDR said they did not even own businesses.
The Department of Revenue encourages taxpayers to be selective when choosing a tax preparer. The following steps can help you protect yourself against tax-preparer fraud:
- Try to find a preparer who will be around to answer questions after the return has been filed.
- Avoid preparers who base their fee on a percentage of the amount of the refund or who claim they can obtain larger refunds than other preparers without first reviewing your returns.
- Review and ask questions before signing a return.
- Ask others that you know who have used that preparer if they were satisfied with the services that they received.
- Ask any preparer that you are considering for references.
- Ask and verify if the preparer belongs to a professional organization that requires its members to pursue continuing education and also holds them accountable to a code of ethics.
- Always question entries on your return that you don’t understand.
- Never sign a blank return.
- Insist that the preparer sign the return and provide his appropriate information on the return.
- Insist on receiving a copy of the return before it is filed.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.