Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Jindal Signs Warrant To Extradite Bourbon Street Shooting Suspect
Trung Le (Courtesy: WVLA)
BATON ROUGE, La. (WDSU) -- Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal signed a governor's warrant to begin the extradition process for Bourbon Street shooting suspect Trung Le, a spokesman with the Governor's Office said.
Le, 20, was arrested last week in Mississippi shortly after being named the suspect in the shooting that injured nine people and killed 21-year-old Brittany Thomas on June 29.
The shooting happened about 2:45 a.m. in the 700 block of Bourbon Street.
Le was fighting extradition to Louisiana. He formally refused to sign a waiver of extradition at a hearing in Gulfport, Mississippi, last week.
Now that Jindal has signed the warrant, it will be sent to Mississippi, where Gov. Phil Bryant will have to sign a similar warrant that will order Le be sent back to New Orleans.
That process could take days or weeks, officials said.