"It was like a sonic boom," said witness Ralph Watkins.
All that is left of a camper James and Shirley Moss were inside is a charred mess of mangled and ripped apart pieces -- the result of the explosion family members said was caused by a propane leak.
For those closest to it, the sound was something Watkins -- a Vietnam War veteran -- never experienced.
"That was the loudest thing I've heard," Watkins said. "That was terrible."
It happened at a hunting camp off Neely Loop in Pansy. The Mosses were inside the camper when family members say a propane leak caused the earth-shaking explosion.
"It just vibrated everything," Watkins said. "I mean it was loud."
Watkins, who was in his camper a couple hundred feet away, was one of the first people who rushed over to help.
He says the injuries to the husband were the most severe, including gruesome burns to his arms and legs.
"The skin was just hanging," he said.
Both James and Shirley were rushed to hospitals, but somehow despite an explosion so violent it left camper parts in the trees -- family members say they expect both victims to survive.
"Someone was looking out for them," Watkins said.
Family members say Shirley Moss is in stable condition at Jefferson Regional Medical Center in Pine Bluff. Meanwhile, they say, James Moss is listed in critical condition at Arkansas Children's Hospital.
PANSY, AR (FOX 16) -- Two people are recovering after a camper trailer used at a deer camp exploded near Rye Friday night.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.