So far this year, WNV cases have been reported in Adams (1), Hinds (2), Newton (1), Rankin (3), Yazoo (1), and Wilkinson (1) counties. Last week, the first human death from WNV was reported in Yazoo County. The MSDH only reports laboratory-confirmed cases to the public. In 2013, Mississippi had 45 WNV cases and five deaths.
The MSDH suggests the following precautions to protect yourself and your environment from mosquito-borne illnesses:
- Use a recommended mosquito repellent that contains DEET while you are outdoors.
- Remove all sources of standing water around your home and yard to prevent mosquito breeding.
- Wear loose, light-colored, long clothing to cover the arms and legs when outdoors.
- Avoid areas where mosquitoes are prevalent.
- Travelers to the Caribbean should take precautions against mosquito exposure. Please see www.HealthyMS.com/chik for more information.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.