BATON ROUGE (Louisiana State Police) -- On Thursday, July 10, 2014, Louisiana State Police held an awards ceremony to honor Troopers, public safety personnel from across the state, and civilians for their extraordinary efforts over the past year.
The ceremony was held at 10:00 am in the Louisiana State Police Training Academy Auditorium on Independence Blvd. in Baton Rouge, LA. Stories of bravery, dedication, and exceptional work ethic were common themes throughout the ceremony.
Awards presented to these extraordinary public servants are as follows:
Medal of Valor - Awarded for selfless service at the risk of the officer’s or citizen’s life while having full knowledge of that risk. The act must be clearly above and beyond the call of duty.
· Sgt. George Beck (Troop G)
· Sgt. Trey Bellue (Troop A)
· Sgt. Brandon Poe (BOI)
· Sgt. Robert Lummus (CIU ISS)
· M/T William Blackwell (CIU ISS)
· TFC Philip “Yancy” Hanks (Troop I)
o For selfless service at the risk of their own lives with regard to their actions in Tensas Parish on August 13, 2013, while attempting to rescue two hostages from an armed gunman.
Lifesaving Award - Awarded for any act which saves or sustains the life of another.
· Sgt. Larry Badeaux (Troop C)
o For heroic actions on September 18, 2013, at the Schriever Overpass in Terrebonne Parish where he prevented a woman from committing suicide.
· Sgt. David Krammer (CCC), Officer Christopher Fletcher (CCC) and Officer Timothy Magee (CCC)
o For heroic actions taken on May 25, 2013, when their life saving efforts were able to keep a man alive after he stopped breathing until paramedics arrived.
· TFC Trent Hanks (Troop I) and Corporal Mike Boddye (Acadia SO)
o For heroic actions on September 23, 2013, when they arrived on a crash scene and pulled the driver from the vehicle before it caught on fire.
· Sgt. Tracy Morgan (Gaming), Pilot James Landreneau (Crisis Response), M/T Philip Tagliarino and S/T Thurman Miller (Troop E)
o For heroic actions on August13, 2013, at a hostage situation in Tensas Parish that led to the release of a hostage.
· Mr. John Fanning (Civilian)
o For heroic actions on May 27, 2014, at the Crescent City Connection Bridge when he was able to stop a woman from committing suicide.
· Mr. Scott Quinlain (Civilian)
For heroic actions on June 13, 2014, on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge when he was able to save a mother and her four children from a vehicle that had crashed into the water
The Service Injury Ribbon - Awarded to an individual that incurred significant injuries through no fault of their own while acting within the scope of official duty.
· TFC Jesse Brown (BOI)
o For receiving injuries from bullet shrapnel on November 21, 2013, while executing an arrest warrant in Baton Rouge.
Uniformed Trooper of the Year (nominees) - Awarded to an individual who has demonstrated unusual skill and ability in performing his or her duties both on and off of the job.
· TFC Kevin Cefalu (Troop L) - Winner
· S/T Gary Smith (Troop D)
· S/T Keith Redmond (Troop C)
Plainclothes Trooper of the Year (nominees) - Awarded to individuals who have demonstrated unusual skill and ability in performing his or her duties both on and off of the job.
· TFC Rohn Bordelon - Winner
· M/T Jude Autin
· S/T Joshua Van Etta
Department of Public Safety Officer of the Year Award (nominees) - Awarded to individuals who have demonstrated unusual skill and ability in performing his or her duties both on and off of the job.
· Officer Grant Broussard - Winner
· Inv. Michael Garner
· Sgt. Jasmine Julien
· Officer Darryl Petersen
· Officer Henry P. Washington
Richard Honeycutt Award (nominees) - Awarded for outstanding service and dedication to duty by a Communications Officer.
· Comm. Officer 3 Jaudawn Navarre- Winner
· Comm. Officer 2 Bridgett Carter
· Comm. Officer 2 Colette Guidry
· Comm. Officer Ingrid Johnson
· Comm. Specialist 2 Alicia Pickens
Meritorious Service Award - Awarded for performance of duty that exceeds the normal expectations of duty and demonstrates an exceptional degree of good judgment, initiative, and competence.
· Sgt. Jimilly Albarado (BOI)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations since February 2013 when he was transferred to evidence custodian in Lafayette. He has been performing the duties for two regions.
· S/T Anthony “Scott” Farris (Troop D) and TFC Chris Hill (Troop D)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations on December 5, 2013, by answering a call of a 17 year old female threatening suicide. They were able to calm her down and get her to safety.
· Sgt. Justin Porche (DPS W &S)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations on August 30, 2013, by breaking up a fight and helping to direct aid to a shooting victim.
· S/T Heath Miller (BOI)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations by personally contributing to the arrest of over 44 violent drug offenders and coordinating a multi-state investigation that led to the dismantling of a large scale cocaine distribution operation.
· S/T Sean McCaffery (BOI) and Intel Research Specialist Scott Richardson
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations during May 2013 by participating in an investigation which resulted in the dismantling of a multi-state drug trafficking organization.
· Officer Jeremy Swisher (DPS W & S)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations by assisting Deridder Police with arresting two individuals wanted for simple battery and resisting arrest.
· Comm. Officer Louvenia Landry (Troop I)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations on November 24, 2013, by helping to recover a stolen vehicle while driving home after finishing her shift.
· M/T Katie Morel (BOI)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations when in June 2014 after more than 2 years of investigating she was able to indict a subject for 2nd degree murder from a 2002 “Cold Case.”
· Deputy Command Technician John Porter (ESU), Technician Supervisor John Wyles (ESU), Technician Supervisor Sean Lefleur (ESU), Senior Technician John Dayries (ESU), Senior Technician Kevin Guillory (ESU), Senior Technician Jimmy Hardy (ESU), Senior Technician Kevin Miller (ESU), Senior Technician Preston Summers (ESU), Technician Chris Adams (ESU), Technician David Boyles (ESU), Technician Justin Martin (ESU) and Criminal Investigator II Shelly Hopkins (ESU)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations from November 2012 to May 2013 by devoting a tremendous amount of time and efforts to ensuring a safe mitigation of 18 million pounds of improperly stored explosives at Camp Minden.
· Capt. Derrell Williams (TA), Capt. Jason Starnes, (Op Dev), Lt. Rodney Hyatt (Op Dev), Lt. Besson (Op Dev), Lt. Greg Graphia (BOI), Sgt. William Moragne (ISS)
o For performance of duty exceeding normal expectations during the 2014 Legislative Session by working countless hours planning, researching and providing documentation that led to bills being passed and signed into law that directly affect Louisiana State Police.
Superintendents Award for Excellence - The Superintendent has the discretion to issue this award to individuals, sections, or troops in recognition of outstanding performance or achievement. The award may also be conferred on individuals, companies, schools, or other entities apart from State Police.
· Sheriff Rickey A. Jones, Tensas Parish
· Ex Director Michael A. Ranatza, LSA
· Assoc. Director Gary Bennett, LSA
· ADA Cloyce C. Clark, Caddo 1st JDC
· DA John F. DeRosier, Calcasieu District Attorney, 14th JDC
· DA Jerry Jones, Ouachita District Attorney, 4th JDC
· Varsity Sports
· Attorney David Bravo
· Attorney Amanda Calagero
· Judge Rebecca Olivier, 1st Parish Court
· Mr. Dennis Woltering, WWL-TV